Your Cart

Your Cart

Your Cart is Empty

Continue Shoping

How To Keep My Pets Safe This Valentine's Day

January 27, 2022

How To Keep My Pets Safe This Valentine's Day

Valentine's Day is the most romantic occasion of the year - and we celebrate our love for our loved ones and friends by making them extra special. Every single year, there are a lot of sweets, chocolates, flowers, and gifts handed out to the love of our lives. But what about our pets? I am pretty sure that most pet parents agree that celebrating Valentine's Day with your pet is one of the most fulfilling ways to show our furry babies how much we cherish them. In this article, I'll help you learn some safety tips to ensure that your pet will be safe from potential Valentine's Day hazards.

I love my dog very much. Asher has been with me for 3 years now, and he has been the sweetest being that adds security to my life. He loves me unconditionally, we share my bed, and we enjoy Netflix cuddle nights. This is why I always make sure that whatever I do will keep him safe from danger.

Avoid Chocolates and Other Sweet Stuff

According to ASPCA.org, ALL kinds of chocolate are dangerous and potentially fatal when ingested by our pets. Chocolates contain Methylxanthines, caffeine-like stimulants that can cause gastrointestinal, cardiac, and neurological dysfunctions. If your dog accidentally swallowed chocolate, he may have severe diarrhea, vomiting, seizures, hyperactivity, dehydration, and an abnormally high heart rate. The less sweet the chocolate is, the more it becomes fatal. Bring him immediately to the vet when this happens. 

Candies and chewing gums should also be avoided. Sugar-free candies contain Xylitol, a sweetener found in plants and is severely toxic to our dogs. Dogs that accidentally eat these will experience a sudden drop in blood sugar, leading to depression, loss of body coordination, vomiting, and even liver failure. Again, if you see your dog ingesting candies or chocolates, remember to call your vet immediately to prevent worse things from happening.

Make Your Flower Bouquets Pet-Friendly

Plants and flowers are very popular during Valentine's Day. However, some varieties of flowers are toxic to dogs and cats, so it is best to carefully choose your flowers before bringing them home, to make sure that your pets won't ingest anything fatal. Some plants and flowers that are dangerous to pets are African Daisies, Baby's Breath, Chrysanthemums, Daffodils, different Lilies, Tulips, Rubber Plants, etc. More can be found on ASPCA's website. There are many more plants that can upset your pet, so be aware and keep these away from them at all times.

Cocktails and Alcohol are a No-No

Be mindful of spilled wine or liquor, as your pet may get curious and have a taste. Too much liquor ingestion may be fatal to pets as their bodies are significantly smaller than ours. Just like chocolates, liquor may cause vomiting, diarrhea, lack of coordination, tremors, difficulty breathing, metabolic dysfunctions, and even coma. Again, do not leave any unfinished glasses on the table, and clean up spilled cocktails immediately.

Gift Wrapping Left-Overs

Scrap ribbons, masking tapes, balloons, or even gift wrapping paper are hazardous when ingested. Cats in particular love playing with ribbons and strings, so make sure to throw away your gift wrapping scraps when you're done opening your presents. These left-over materials can cause choking and vomiting when caught on your pet's digestive tract.

Candles Are Romantic But Can Be a Fire Hazard

Candles can easily be toppled over causing fire in your home, so make sure to put out all lit candles before leaving the room. 

These are but a few things to note to ensure that our beloved pets are safe while we celebrate Valentine's Day with them. No matter what pet you have or what kind of celebration you'll be preparing, always remember that what matters the most is making all your loved ones (including your furry friend) feel loved and appreciated.